Students may experience anxiety about tests and may experience heightened anxiety before a testing situation. A certain degree of test anxiety is normal and may help students prepare more effectively, work more efficiently, and remain focused during testing. Too much anxiety, however, can negatively affect performance. The following strategies may assist students, parents, and teachers in reducing test anxiety.
Student Strategies for Reducing Test Anxiety
- Share your feelings of anxiety with parents and teachers.
- Think of the test as an opportunity to show what you know.
- Review homework and materials which pertain to the test topics.
- Relax, breathe deeply and stay focused on the test.
- Remember the test is only one way your academic performance is measured.